Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Good morning All

What a busy weekend!
So after a crazy weekend, I got to play in the Serpent's skull game our group has going, Thanks Ben for DMing another great game.  My character Max....splattered many cha cha monkeys everywhere.  I think it's said Charuka and spelled yet a third way, but Max worries not about such trivial things. 
I need to get building some more pieces and it looks as though the first real playtest on strangers will be this Saturday at Jetpack Comics in Rochester, NH at 1 pm.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of game I want to run.  I liked the zombie stomp, but I'm only going to start players with 1 first level character each.  To get them used to the pace and PvP aspects of the game.  Also I want to flesh out the out of Arena game aspects with them.
So...I am also tossing a handful of inspiration, gaming,/nerd fun pictures in...cuz that's how I role (deliberate play on words!!)



So Mazes and traps.  As a DM Mazes are such an iconic epic idea.  As players they are tedious and boring, and can we kill something yet?  How to have the 'feel' of a maze while keeping the game playable.  I think I still have characters lost in Undermountain...one of them sent me a postcard last week it was surreal.
Second...traps...The rogue always looks for traps.  I have done a timed dungeon or two in my time a la' Indian Jones where getting in and out, while traps are going off, and the place is coming down is part of the mystery.  Why do we assume all traps are hidden?  What about a line like this...

"From the doorway into the dungeon, you can all see a long hallway lined with menacing spikes, and deep slots along the walls.  The floor is a maze of blocks, each deliberately set to be at slightly different heights, sometimes higher or lower by two to three inches than the blocks around them.  Now that the dungeon door is open dim light begins to glow from the walls illuminating the hallway, about a hundred feet down the hall there is a door.  Somewhere beyond it heavy ancient gears begin to turn.  According to the map you bought the talisman you need should be right beyond that door, what do you all do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment